Sunday, June 8, 2014

Expectations

Expectation: To be filled with anticipation and confidence that something hoped for will happen.

Have you ever gone to watch a movie that you had high hopes for only to leave feeling disappointed?  I have found that the best movie experiences I have ever had are when I don't have any expectations at all.  I simply show up and enjoy the show.

Life is full of expectations.  Every single person carries with them hopes and dreams.  Some expectations are met and may go above and beyond what we had ever hoped. While some may let us down; and if we are not careful, those expectations may lead us down a path of shattered dreams.


It is important to clearly communicate what it is that we expect... from ourselves, from our spouse, from our children, from our family and friends, from our boss and coworkers... the list goes on.  This allows for frustration, miscommunication and any expectations that may be unrealistic or unattainable to be snuffed out.

So how do we handle unmet expectations?  With grace.  It helps to keep in mind that all have fallen short. That none of us are perfect.  There is only one person in this world that I am certain I can place my highest expectation and never be disappointed.  It's not in myself, in others, or in my circumstances. It's in Christ alone.

My hope is built on nothing less.

And my God will supply 
every need of yours
according to his riches 
in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19




No comments:

Post a Comment