Tuesday, June 10, 2014

People pleaser

I carry a lofty weight upon my shoulders. The weight of making everyone in my life happy.  Hi, my name is Allison, and I am a people pleaser.



There is nothing wrong with making people feel accepted, included and loved, but if we stretch ourselves too thin in the process, we are actually doing more harm than good. The inability to enjoy the moment because we are too busy thinking about all of the things we could be doing for others is unhealthy and downright exhausting.

What if in our efforts to please someone, we find that we have drained every ounce of our being?   Maybe it's time that we take a look at the driving force behind the pleasing. 



For am I now seeking

the approval of man or of God?

Or am I trying to please man?

If I were still trying to please man,

I would not be a servant of Christ. 
Galatians 1:10

There is not a verse to be found where the Lord commands us to make everyone happy.  Jesus simply says, "Love one another, just as I have loved you". John 13:34
The happiness of others does not lie in our hands.  We are to love each other, but to go above and beyond what is necessary time and time again, we will begin to feel the lofty weight upon our shoulders. A weight that was never ours to carry.

I am not saying that we should lead selfish lives. Quite the contrary. I believe God wants us to ask Him how he would want us to love and serve others.   Our greatest joy will come from serving the Lord.  That's where we will find fulfillment.  That's where we will find freedom from the people pleaser mentality... simply because it's Him alone that we are aiming to please.

1 comment: