Wednesday, May 7, 2014

No pain, no gain.

Consider it pure joy,
my brothers and sisters,
whenever you face trials of
many kinds because you know
the testing of your faith
produces perseverance.
James 1:2-3

Trials.     Troubles.     Distress.     Pain.    Worry.     Anxiety.

Pure joy is probably the furthest thing from my mind in the midst of difficulties. I have considered it pure frustration or pure agony... but joy? If you're anything like me (human), you want to avoid personal turmoil if at all possible. Like my sister used to say, "No pain, no pain!"

Trials are like a strenuous exercise. Each exercise strengthens the spiritual muscle. Think about it, no one really enjoys the process of a hard work out.  It's painful.  It's unpleasant.  It pushes us beyond what we are comfortable with. 

There are moments, in the midst of my troubles, when I feel like I am facing the struggle alone... left to lift the heavy weights on my own without a spotter. I begin to panic. There's no end in sight. It's then that I cry out for help.

God has proven to me time and time again that he has never left my side. He has always been faithful to me. His grace is sufficient for me. He can be trusted. My trials may change from season to season, but He never does. His promises to me remain the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. I know that he is with me, equipping me, strengthening me, with each breath that I take.  

When will I learn to embrace the trials instead of striving to get out as quickly as I can?  It's time to stop rushing "the workout". Yes, it's hard. Yes, it's frustrating.  Yes, it's draining.  But the end results are worth it.

Strength.     Peace.     Hope.     Rest.     Comfort.     Joy.


The end result:  a faith that produces perseverance- a faith that refuses to quit. I count it all joy!







No comments:

Post a Comment