Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Genuine kindness

March is a month full of birthdays for my family.  So many celebrations. So many gifts.  A friend of mine just had her birthday a few days ago and said the only gift she wanted was for everyone she knew to do a random act of kindness that day.  Most gifts come and go, get old, fade away... but the gift of kindness has a lasting affect. 

Don't get me wrong, I love getting showered with gifts.  Blessings come in all shapes and sizes.  But the most genuine gift I have ever received-- the greatest blessing I have ever had bestowed upon me is this...

...Christ in [me], the hope of glory.
Colossians 1:27

It's an immeasurable gift.  So rich in love.  I don't deserve it, but God's grace says I do.

For it is by grace you have
been saved through faith. 
And this is not your own doing;
it is the gift of God,
not a result of works,
so that no one may boast.
Ephesians 2:8

It's the only gift that offers genuine security. I have been saved. My salvation is fully secured.  It's not something anyone or anything else can give me.  It's not something I can accomplish myself.

It's not a "if I just try harder then God will notice me" gift.  It's not a "look what I did, look how awesome and perfect I have lived my life" mentality.  It's all about faith.  Knowing that I did absolutely nothing to deserve it, yet humbly accepting the gift that was ever so graciously given to me in kindness.  


This is not a random act of kindness. This one was mapped out and wrapped up before the beginning of time and had my name, and yours, written on the gift tag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment