Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Dare not compare

Not that we dare to classify or
compare ourselves with
some of those who
are commending themselves. 
But when they measure themselves by
one another and compare themselves
with one another,
they are without understanding.
2 Corinthians 10:12 

The lives of others may inspire me; however, their successes or lack thereof, is not what determines or defines my self-worth or value. Nothing steals my joy and contentment quicker than the pitfall of comparing myself with others.  It leaves me feeling inadequate, insecure and discontent. Jealous. Envious. Bitter. And sometimes it's even the other way around.  Feeling superior. Thinking of myself better than others. Judgmental.  Either way, it's a dangerous and destructive path.  Neither one of which God has chosen for me.


God has paved a road for each one of us to follow that is completely different than anyone else's.  We do not know all of the curves, the ups, the downs, the twists and turns that the other person has had to walk to get them to where they are today. Nor do we know where God will call them to... and what gifts, talents and abilities will be given to them in order to help them along the way.  Knowing that helps me understand how useless it is to compare myself with others.

So what is at the root of comparing?  Possibly the need for approval and acceptance from others?  If that is the case, then it is time to stop comparing and start looking for approval from the only One who is worthy to give it.

Whatever you do,
work at it with all your heart
as working for the Lord, not for men.
Since you know that you
will receive an inheritance
from the Lord as a reward.
It is the Lord you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24


And as we live our lives pleasing Him and Him alone, I believe we will be too preoccupied to compare. It's in him that I find true joy and satisfaction. He's enough.



9 comments: