Friday, February 7, 2014

Beauty in the mess

If I ever want my house to look spotless, I invite people over.  I don't know if there is a scientific law for this, but I have tested it time and time again and the end result is always the same.  The mess is gone... well, at least for the moment.

Life is messy.  From piles of laundry and stacks of dishes to broken relationships and abuse. Some messes are easy to hide, while others may be harder to control. Some are complicated and interwoven into the depths of our being.

Messes may appear different in each person's life, but one thing is for sure... we all have them and they aren't pretty. 

However, if I take a closer look, I see beauty in my mess.
Because, you see, my mess is covered in grace.

Jesus sees our weaknesses. He sees our mistakes, our failures and our hurts.  He understands our human frailty. So I come to him.

No matter how badly I mess up throughout the day, I make time to stop and acknowledge him. I thank him for who he is and all that he has done for me. It can be as quick as an exhale through the mundane saying "Jesus, help me. I need you".

It is there that he extends to me his grace and in return I am able to give grace to myself.

2 Corinthians 12:9 says, "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me".

That's how I find beauty in the mess. 

1 comment: