Thursday, February 6, 2014

Focus

The challenge of letting go and allowing God to hold my hand as I learn to trust him has proven to be easier said than done.

Three days in and I've already fallen short.  As soon as I enter back into the reality of this thing called life, I find myself doing quite the opposite. I become busy. I worry. I take control. I'm anything but still. I pick up what I just let go. It's a vicious cycle.

God never ceases to amaze me with his impeccable timing.
I love his gentle reminders.

Last year, I started reading the Jesus Calling devotional by Sarah Young.
This is the reminder I read today: 

"..."Slow down and cling tightly to my hand
I am teaching you a difficult lesson, learned only by hardship.
Lift up empty hands of faith to receive My precious Presence. 
Light, Life, Joy and Peace flow freely through this gift.
When your focus turns away from Me, you grasp for other things.
You drop the glowing gift of my Presence as you reach for lifeless ashes". 
(italics added).

So the challenge continues.  Let go. Cling to his hand.

But wait, there's more... Focus.


So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, 
but on what is unseen, 
since what is seen is temporary, 
but what is unseen is eternal.
~2 Corinthians 4:18

So let's fix our eyes on the LORD while the storm rages on. For if we focus on anything else, we tend to let go of his hand and begin to reach for "lifeless ashes".

As Jesus becomes the focal point, the storm will be but a blur in the background.


1 comment: