Monday, February 10, 2014

Love never fails

A simple word.  A profound statement.
What is love, actually?
I believe that it is easier for us to experience love rather than try to define it. 

We are all born with the need to love and to be loved. Countless people have tried to put into words what love is since the beginning of time. I could attempt to define it, but it's probably best to let the word of God speak.
1 Corinthians 13 tells us what love is... and what it is not.

Love is patient and kind;
love does not envy or boast;
it is not arrogant or rude.

It does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice at wrongdoing,
but rejoices with the truth.

Love bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things,
endures all things.

WAIT A SECOND.  Did you just do what I did and skim over it because those verses are already familiar to you??  Read it again~ with intention. This time putting your name in the place of love...

I have read and heard this at least a thousand times before, but after reading it today I realize that there is not one person on the face of this planet who has or ever will love me like that.  Not my husband, not my children, not my parents, not my friends, not even myself.  
But wait... there is someone who can and does love that way.

Reread the verses above a third time, putting the name of Jesus in place of love.  It all makes sense now.  

At the end of those verses, the very next sentence begins with yet another profound statement.
Love never ends.  

Let that sink into the core of your heart.
God loves you. No ifs ands or buts about it.  His love never fails and he will never stop loving you. ever. period. end of story. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha, you totally got me! I skipped reading the verse because I already know it (or so I thought!) Great post Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you got me too. I confess I skimmed the verses because I thought I knew them, but you made me look at them differently…thank you Jesus. Your love never fails, it never gives up it never runs out on me.

    ReplyDelete